Monday, July 16, 2012

Catching up with a Crockpot and Skillet Meals

It's been a busy and sleep deprived past two weeks and when the baby is peacefully sleeping in my arms (because that is the best feeling in the world and because when that is the only way she will sleep - you let her!) I have caught up on some blog reading (thank goodness for iPads making it easy to multi task like that).
So I come to you this week with a host of skillet and crockpot fixings. My new inspiration comes from a few places. One - has to be easy. Two - has to be nutritious. Three - has to make something that reheats well. Four - as usual, has to be gluten and dairy and nightshade free, but can't taste like that. Five - You will see a lot of beans. I always use canned beans and I don't mind it too much, but I really prefer to soak all my grains and legumes, but you can't get that with canned. It's also cheaper and tastier if you make your own.
Beans are also really great for the crockpot - because they take so long and also they don't taste like the crockpot when they cook. My crockpot recipes I pick and post do not taste like crock pot (possibly you don't know what I am talking about here - but some things, especially chicken - don't cook up well in the crockpot and end up tasting like the pot itself. It's weird and not pleasant). My crockpot postings will also not be your typical chili type deals because pretty much all of those recipes call for tomato - and lots of it - and that being a nightshade I steer clear.
The other recipes are soups (mostly lentil based) and the one skillet deals have been fun to play with too. Enjoy!

No comments: