Saturday, July 12, 2008

Iced Coffee - My Way


For those that know me well, you know I love the flavor of coffee. I don't recommend anyone drink caffeinated coffee for a variety of reasons, but a cup of decaf here and there is one of my personal favorites. My all time favorite way to have it is in a decaf soy latte. I usually get it at a cafe of some sort, but the problem is that I don't have control over the coffee being used, the amount of sugar and the quality of the soy milk. So today, instead of heading to a coffee house, I made my own iced coffee and it was fabulous! I used unsweetened organic soy milk, a fair trade organic coffee and I did add a tiny bit of sweetener but I made a simple syrup out of organic sucanat instead of refined white sugar. All things I had on hand and all things I felt ok about putting in my body. Perfect match.
Here is the recipe:
3/4 cup brewed decaf coffee of your choice
3/4 cup plain unsweetened soy milk
2 tbls vanilla sucanat simple syrup (in a sauce pan melt 1/8 cup water and 1/8 cup sucanat with a tsp of vanilla - stir until sugar is fully dissolved)
1 cup ice
Top with a bit of cinnamon if you are feeling spicy

Pour in a cup, stir and enjoy!

No comments: