Friday, July 18, 2008

Off Hour Shopping

It is amazing how different a grocery shopping experience can be, when you don't go at peak hours. Seriously. It is much less stressful because you don't have to worry about where your cart is, reaching for things, screaming children who have already had a long enough day, people yelling on their cell phones, waiting in long lines - you get the picture.
Seems irrelevant that I am posting something about the time, or day of week you go grocery shopping, but in reality I think it is important. The way you feel about getting your food, cooking your food and eating your food determine how good of a relationship you will have with it. So if you for example, eat on the run all the time, you probably are not stopping to indulge in the wonderful flavors and the fact that it gives you life and vitality and health. Same with grocery shopping in my mind - if you hate doing it, you will struggle getting into the store, fight it in the store and then be exhausted when you leave.
What are the good times to go then? I like to plan for a whole week. So either Friday late afternoon or late evening, early Saturday morning before 11 or late Saturday after 3 PM, or early Sunday morning.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Thanks for the shopping tip. Not to mention that the workers are happier and more willing to help when there aren't a bunch of shoppers around.

Jennifer said...

I try to go shopping on Sunday after dinner. This way I can leave my 2 year old home with my hubby while he is in a relatively good mood, and I don't have to deal with crowds. The problem with that time, though is that they are not stocked as well as they are at other times.

natashall said...

Good point Jennifer (and thank you for checking out my blog!) - I think this is where having a well stocked pantry is pretty important - just in case you needed that pasta, but they didn't have it. I think the problem is usually eggs and the really good produce at those times. I too have experienced this. So I either find another store that I know keeps that more well stocked at that time, or maybe you can pop in for a few minutes on a day where it would be well stocked to get those items you are more picky about. Maybe in another year your 2 year old will have fun and can be part of a farmers market experience.