Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Gluten Free Coffee Muffins

Before you throw your arms up and say forget it because it's gluten free, take a look. I don't make things that try to mock a modern version. For example I don't get tofurkey, I don't like most gluten free bread....these are things that you just shouldn't try to replicate if you have a food sensitivity.
That is how I survived the 10 years that I had a sensitivity to milk protein. I ate as many whole foods as possible and tested recipes until I could make them just taste good and not 'ok, but dairy free.
So, these muffins. I was hesitant to try them, but I will tell you they are great! Give them a try next time you have guests over.
Coffee Muffins
Adapted from the "Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Foods" by Bette Hagman
Before you start, mix 1 cup garfava flour, 1 cup cornstarch and 1 cup tapioca flour in a storage bin
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour mix
1/2 cup sucanat
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbls melted butter
2 eggs
2 tsp instant espresso
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup chocolate chips (to add right before baking on top of the muffins, otherwise they sink to the bottom)
Cupcake liners
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line muffin tin.
2. In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, coffee and butter together.
4. Add half the flour mixture until just moist. The key with this is not to overmix or beat.
5. Add half the buttermilk, stir lightly.
6. Add the rest of the flour, stir. Then the rest of the buttermilk. Stir lightly.
7. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full. Top with chocolate chips if you want.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
I would suggest tasting the batter before. It doesn't taste good, so that is not why I am suggesting that. Instead, I just thought it was so cool how the bean taste gets cooked out and how baking is such a science!
According to the original author, each muffin packs 6 grams of protein! Enjoy with some tea or coffee.

No comments: